Egypt

I have none-displaced small fracture in 5th metatarsal base of my foot. it was swelling immediately after the incident; i was put into a splint after 18 hours i was put into a cast. i have been in the cast for 10 days now, i do minimal home walking. mos

Dr. Edward Hellman
Orthopedic Surgery 29 years experience
Depends: It depends on the specific location of the fracture. An avulsion type fracture at the tip of the metatarsal is little more than a sprain of the foot and does not really require any immobilization at all. A more proximal fracture of the 5 th metatarsal is known as a jones fracture and requires strict non weight bearing in a cast to heal.

Last updated Dec 24, 2015