OH

Psa up from 7 (avg.) to 11 on consecutive tests. fpsa estimated at <10%. two negative biopsies (2005 & 2009). prostate @68g & bph. now what?

Dr. Colin Kerr
Elevated PSA: Now the specialists may disagree, but my advice as a family physician is that the most common cause of mildly elevated psa is benign prostatic hypertrophy. In 2011 the United States preventive services task force advocated against any kind of routine psa screening. With 2 negative biopsies, i wouldn't do anything more than check your psa once a year and see a urologist if it goes over 20.
Dr. Andrew McCullough
Urology 43 years experience
Not an easy answer: This is a controversial area. Making the diagnosis of ca of prostate is one thing and treatment another. The aggressiveness of the pursuit is dependent on the patient. In an octogenarian or a patient with extensive co- morbidities treatment is unlikely to result in survival benefit and is associated with it's own set of issues. With two negative biopsies we are not dealing with high volume disease.
Dr. George Klauber
Specializes in Pediatric Urology
Agree with Dr. McCullough. I would not undergo any type of treatment if this was me unless I was symptomatic. Would settle for a simple transurethral resection if I had obstructive symptoms. Unlikely that you will die from prostate cancer, but like most men, you will succumb to other causes!
Feb 23, 2012
Dr. Michael Michaels
Urology 53 years experience
This patient is 60 years old and the last biopsy was 5 years ago.
Aug 14, 2014

Last updated Jan 11, 2018