U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 48-year-old male asked:

Good morning, i just moved to america and don't have a doctor yet. my son is autistic and needs dental work,but i've read stories that general anesthesia can send the autistic into a serious regression. is there truth to this? any other options? thxs?

2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Clarence Grim
Endocrinology 58 years experience
One thing to learn in American is to not consult Dr. Google or quote what you have read on internet. I would rely on going to pubmed.gov and looking up the research or getting a subscription to uptodate.com for the best and most up to date information about all medical issues. Will save you time and maybe even someones life. I cannot think how getting anesthesia would causes serious regression.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Robert Trager
Dentistry 55 years experience
Seek a special needs dentist. General anesthesia is not always needed. Nitrous oxide[laughing gas]could be used or valium if medical doctor agrees with any of these methods.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.

Related questions

A 49-year-old male asked:
Can general anesthesia cause regression in autism?
2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
A 36-year-old female asked:
Should i take my autistic son to a dan doctor?
1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
Last updated Nov 8, 2021


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.