Jamaica

My dad broke his ankle in 3 places. the doctor said he has to do surgery but my dad does not want to do it. the bones are aligned properly, and if he keeps off his feet it will heal properly. could this lead to deformity or does need he surgery?

Pathology 50 years experience
It is not feasible to provide a meaningful response without examining your father and looking at the x-rays. If there is no displacement, it could heal without deformity. If you are not satisfied with the advice of your doctor, it is appropriate to get a second opinion. Wish you and your dad good health!
Dr. Jeffrey Trantalis, DPM
Podiatry 43 years experience
I will say this the previous doctor is not incorrect. If the fracture lines are through the joint you are taking a risk that in the future you will not have arthritis and pain. It is very important to the aline the fragments and juxtapose them as close as possible so healing can be precise as possible.

Last updated May 9, 2021