U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Staten Island, NY
A 35-year-old female asked:

Cyst like on top my left foot and diagnosed of protruding bone called ganglion exostosis. foot doctor said i need a surgery. is this true?

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Scott Keith
Podiatry 45 years experience
We all need somthing: Sounds like you have an exostosis, which is nothing more than an outgrowth of bone, and a ganglion cyst. If the condition is causing pain, numbness or a problem with the functioning of your foot, then surgery is probably called for. If, however, you have a lump and no symptoms associated with it, then, you have the opportunity of holding off on the surgery for what I call a "wait see".

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated May 31, 2018


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.