U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 28-year-old male asked:

Should i have surgery to remove the bone chip/chunk from my foot? 3 years ago i was playing ultimate frisbee, i jumped up and landed wrong and broke a bone in my right foot/ankle. at the time i thought i just sprained something, so i didnt see a doctor.

3 doctor answers5 doctors weighed in
Dr. James McClurg
Orthopedic Surgery 36 years experience
You : You should have nerve conduction studies. Please specify if the numbness is at the top of your foot or at the sole.
Dr. Payam Rafat
Podiatry 23 years experience
Get it evaluated.: You will need to have it professionally evaluated. You will need x-rays taken to determine the location and orientation of the fragment. If you have significant pain and your physician feels that removing the bone fragment will be beneficial, then you should consider having the fracture fragment removed.
Dr. Thomas Inwood
Podiatry 36 years experience
Bone chip: Because you state you have a bone chip i will assume you have had x rays taken. If the chip is in a position to hurt you speak to your podiatrist who will guide you in making the decision that is right for you. Good luck !

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated Jan 5, 2019


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.