I have been taking 0.1 mg of fludrocortisone for year to treat pots. is it safe for me to tale the covid vaccine. its just that fludrocortisone has a warning saying people taking it should not take any vaccine. thanks?

4 doctors weighed in across 2 answers
Dr. Yvette Kratzberg answered

Specializes in Pediatrics

Fludrocortisone is a steroid. Steroids inhibit the immune system. Persons taking Fludrocortisone are warned against taking vaccines for two reasons. The depressed immune system won't be able to mount an appropriate response to the vaccine, therefore, it will be ineffective in making you "immune to the disease". In the case of partially inactivated or live vaccines, you could get the disease.

Answered 3/26/2021

0 views

Dr. Bennett Machanic answered

Specializes in Neurology

This is a mineralocorticoid, and has a lower immune system effect than a glucocorticoid. This would not be at all a contra-indication for the COVID-19 vaccine. Your antibody response may be slightly reduced, but nonetheless, best to take the "jab". There is NO risk of the vaccine triggering infection due to lack of live viral particles.

Answered 3/27/2021

0 views