Madison, WI

history of rectal carcinoid and total hysterectomy. 2015/2018/2020 ct scans all show cyst on left ovary. is that strange as shouldnt they go away. ca-125 normal. vag ultrasound shows cyst. gyn says wait. carcinoid doctor wants to do bso. conflicted?

Dr. John Berryman
Carcinoid tumor ?'s: A hysterectomy is not generally curative of true carcinoid tumor/symptoms, and a "total hysterectomy" is defined as just removal of the uterus, leaving the ovaries alone. A CT showing an ovarian cyst does not require immediate surgery unless the cyst is complex. Get a second opinion, b/c "BSO" will not correct carcinoid, which is usually multicentric and outside of the ovaries.