U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Palm Coast, FL
A 72-year-old male asked:

72 , white, male, healthy l blood panel bun and k elevated same as 2 years ago others within normal reference ranges. take losartan, metoprolol and spironolactone to maintain high blood pressure at 128/80. primary: stop diuretic; cardiologist: no?

2 doctor answers2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Vahe Yetimyan
General Practice 52 years experience
Change diuretic ?: You may need to change the diuretic from spironolactone to a mild non potassium sparing diuretic temporarily to bring the potassium level down and at the same time not to get too much dehydrated. Discuss it with your primary care physician and see what will be the response.
Dr. Clarence Grim
Endocrinology 58 years experience
Spironolactone?: If the "diuretic" is spironolactone then ask primary why stopping when cardiologist said no. Can cause high K in older folks. But very useful if monitored. Discuss with your team. May your pressure be low!

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated Sep 10, 2020


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.