Hi, i'm having trouble sleeping, is there an over the counter medication i could try? insomnia

5 doctors weighed in across 2 answers
Dr. Heidi Fowler answered

Specializes in Psychiatry

Insomnia: Melatonin can be excellent for simple insomnia. Many people find good results taking 1 to 3 milligrams at night. The sublingual form is best. Some herbals that are used to help sleep include Valerian, Chamomile, Passion Flower, Hops, Skullcap & California Poppy. Improving sleep hygiene is essential. If Sleep does not improve, would see your doctor for assessment. Take care.

Answered 3/21/2019

274 views

Dr. Alan Lasnover answered

Specializes in Obstetrics and Gynecology

OTC for Insomnia: I would agree that Melatonin is the best solution, although if you use it, avoid light. Most OTC insomnia aids are worthless, and those that help are transient in their effects. If Melatonin doesn't work for you, I would see an MD to rule out other causes of insomnia, such as age or depression. There are also some things you can do to reduce the risk of insomnia.

Answered 3/21/2019

273 views