Auburn, AL
A 18-year-old female asked:

Is there an otc treatment/cream for keloids on ear piercings? also will sea salt soaks help it go down? or is my only option a steroid injection??

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Todd Sisto
Plastic Surgery 39 years experience
Yes: If it is small, you can use compression earrings which are clip-ons with a large surface area that exceeds the diameter of the keloid. Try to get the king that have silicone surfaces in contact with the skin. These are avail. online & used to be marketed as Glori earrings. Better, combine this treatment with excision by a plastic surgeon.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Apr 24, 2015
Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
$44 video appointments with $19/month membership*
*Billed $57 every 3 months. Cancel anytime.


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.