U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Auburn, AL
A 18-year-old female asked:

Is there an otc cream/treatment that could help a very minor keloid on an ear piercing? or is my only option to get steroid shots?

1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Donn Hickman
A Verified Doctoranswered
47 years experience
Small ear keloid: A small keloid can be very effectively reduced with a dilute injection of appropriate steroid. It would be a first choice, unless a prior injection was unsuccessful. Often, the cause of these keloids can be the metal punch used to create the ear hole, The hole could be ragged, trap skin cells, or scar from poor care. It occurs in all skin types, but creams are not effective.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated May 4, 2015


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.