is gabapentin good for fibromyalgia?

7 doctor answers
Dr. Karl Haake
22 years experience Anesthesiology
Yes: Neurontin (gabapentin) is an excellent choice for fibromyalgia pain and is something that is often used.
Answered on Jun 30, 2014
1
Dr. Chad Boomershine
18 years experience Rheumatology
Yes and No: Every fibromyalgia patient is different and a drug, such as gabapentin, that works for one fibromyalgia patient may not work for another. Also, medicines have side effects that can be problematic for some patients and not others. Gabapentin is an anticonvulsant medicine that is also used to treat pain. It is important to find a physician that will work to find medicines that work for you.
Answered on Jun 18, 2015
2
Dr. I. Jon Russell
46 years experience Rheumatology
Fibromyalgia Rx: Gabapentin [neurontin] is widely used for the treatment of fibromyalgia syndrome [fms] but that indication has never been formally evaluated by United States food and drug administration [fda]. One research study showed it to be helpful if the dosage was above 2000mg/day but not with lower dosages. Another drug [pregabalin lyrica] is fda approved for fms.
Answered on Sep 28, 2016
3
Dr. David Rosenfeld
26 years experience Pain Management
Good option: It is used widely for this disease process but is not fda approved. That said I have been forced by many insurance companies to try it prior to getting an approval for lyrica (pregabalin).
Answered on Nov 28, 2013
2
Dr. Einar Ottestad
18 years experience Pain Management
Yes: Lyrica (pregabalin) is fda approved for fms. Gabapentin is essentially the same molecule, just older, off patent, and cheaper. No one wants tomspend millions of dollars on Gabapentin research to add the fms indication.
Answered on Dec 8, 2015
11
Dr. Laurence Badgley
52 years experience General Practice
Yes: ? if Neurontin (gabapentin) "good for fibromyalgia (FM)". FM sufferers benefit from Neurontin (gabapentin); which is expected because Neurontin (gabapentin) is for nerves & seizures; not front-line therapy; is adjunctive. FM sufferers should use approved synthetic medications for "pain honeymoon"; whereat chronic soft tissue injuries can be rehabilitated. IMO, FM pain is peripheral micro-neuropathy; generated by anoxic trigger points.
Answered on Dec 12, 2014
1
Dr. Laurence Badgley
52 years experience General Practice
Provided original answer
Peripheral nerves serve the myriad of ischemic/anoxic trigger points generated by chronic muscle spasm. Trigger points generate reactive Substances. There is evidence that fibromyalgia is a true peripheral neuropathy.
Dec 12, 2014
Dr. Stuart Hickerson
Gabapentin: Gabapentin has been helpful for some people with fibromyalgia. The condition needs to be addressed with various modalities and lifestyle modifications. I have had patients recently that have had benefit from a herbal morenga. www.thedocstu.com
Answered on Jul 14, 2017