I have protein in my urine and i asked the doctor if medicine could help and he stated there is nothing to help my kidneys is this true?

Dr. Alvin Lin
Geriatrics 31 years experience
Maybe (not) . . .: It all depends upon how much protein you have in your urine. We commonly offer ace inhibitors or arbs (2 similar blood pressure medications) to patients w/diabetes to prevent chronic kidney disease. Some docs wait until microproteinuria develops while others start right away. Check out http://kidney.Niddk.Nih.Gov/kudiseases/pubs/proteinuria/ towards bottom.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Jack Rubin
Nephrology and Dialysis 49 years experience
Proteinuria: You will need to have a 24 hour urine collected to see how much protein in your urine, proteinuria (p), you have. There are drugs that can reduce p, such as ace-i's, arb's and calcium channel blockers such as diltiazem. See a nephrologist to see if these drugs can be used safely in your case. Once your p decreases, you can reduce your chances of renal failure, stroke , or heart attacks.