How will i know if my child has an ear infection?

Dr. Anatoly Belilovsky
Cough, fever, crying: It's really only a diagnosis a doctor can make by looking inside the ear. Pain, . Fever and cough are common symptoms, though, and should prompt a doctor visit.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Brian Affleck
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 31 years experience
There are some things that would confirm your suspicion of an ear infection. The first is active pus draining from the ear. In addition, when there are symptoms of pain or fever, if there is hearing loss. The definitive test, though, is to look in the ear canal and see the ear drum.
Aug 15, 2013
Dr. Michael Jaindl
undefined 38 years experience
Ear infections in children are usually external (swimmers ear) or middle ear infections. Swimmers ear can often be seen as a swollen canal and the ear is painful to touch. Middle ear infections often begin as an ear ache and may be associated with a cold or upper respiratory infection. If the ear drum ruptures there is usually relief from the pain and drainage from the ear.
Oct 7, 2013
Dr. Salil Gupta
Neonatology 36 years experience
Fever, fussiness: If your child is running fever > 100.4 f, fussing a lot and not eating well or vomiting, it is possible that child has ear infection. Many children may rub or pull on ears a lot when they have ear infection. Exam by your doctor is needed to know for sure if the child does have a ear infection.
Dr. Howard Fertel
33 years experience
Fever ,runny nose: Fever runny nose , crying, tugging of the ear. Most ear infection are viral but the above symptoms should prompt a visit to your child's doctor.