How can i prevent ear infections in my child?

Dr. Michael Coogan
Airway inflammation: Since ear infections begin with inflammation in the upper airway (nose and throat), parents should avoid situations that may lead to inflammation. These include, but are not limited to: cold viruses, irritants like cigarette smoke, and aeroallergens such as pollen, in certain susceptible children.
Dr. Michael Coogan
Bacterial infection: It is important to maintain your child's recommended vaccine status. Current evidence suggests that since we have been vaccinating children against infection with the pneumococcus and the haemophilus organisms ("meningitis vaccines"), the actual number of doctor visits for ear infections has declined.
Dr. Darin Brannan
Specializes in Pediatrics
Ear infections: The greatest reason for ear infection in the very young is due to both anatomy and laying down. As a child grows the angle of the tube that hooks the ear to the throat becomes more acute, and the tube becomes longer, resulting in most kids "outgrowing" the risk. However, there are a number of other factors and one of the most often over looked is allergies which cause chronic nasal congestion.
Dr. William Walsh
Addiction Medicine 18 years experience
Not smoking in the home or not exposing your children to cigarette smoke reduces their risk of ear infections.
Jan 22, 2012