NY

I am 20 years old and have an underbite despite wearing braces during my teenage years. can wearing braces again fix my bite to prevent surgery?

Dr. Bruce Apfelbaum
Dentistry 51 years experience
Maybe: You need to consult with an orthodontist to know for sure.
Dr. John Thaler
Prosthodontics 41 years experience
Sounds doubtful: If your initial treatment dif not correct this, then your problem is skeletal, not simply dental. However, we often have to do both to get the best results. So, that was not time and discomfort wasted. Good news is that today's techniques for surgical correction are even better than before. Also, if this is not corrected, you might destroy your teeth by the time you are 45, due to increased forces.
Dr. Jason Clark
Specializes in Pediatric Dentistry
Maybe: Please see an orthodontist for a thorough evaluation. This answer can only be addressed with an individualized treatment plan.
Dr. Hilary Baskin
Orthodontics 28 years experience
Yes, possibly: While every case is different, we have had adult patients where we have been successful correcting severe underbites without surgery. I suggest getting a consultation with an orthodontist (most will do this for free-- we do!).
Dr. Jose Chacon
Orthodontics 18 years experience
Most likely not: Wearing braces at your age will not prevent the need for jaw surgery. It depends on the severity of the underbite. For mild cases you can try to do some dental compensations that can help camouflage the underbite. For moderate or more severe cases, the correction of the underbite will most likely require a jaw surgery.
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Orthodontics 53 years experience
Perhaps: 1.5-3% of the population (genetically determined) grow out from under Orthodontic correction as lower jaw outgrows upper. Treatment options will depend on the cause of the underbite and the amount of growth still to be anticipated. Boys may continue to grow into their mid 20s. Please see a qualified Orthodontic Specialist for evaluation and options.
Dr. Jeffrey Bassman
Dentistry 45 years experience
Possibly: An under bite is usually a difficult type of a tooth alignment that is more difficult to manage and treat. Sometimes it requires surgery, braces or both. I would recommend obtaining more than one opinion from specialists- orthodontist, oral surgeon and both

Last updated Sep 30, 2020