What are the exercises to prevent slight underbite? ps. my lower set of teeth is wider than the upper. ive undergone mouthguards and braces for 3 yrs.

6 doctors weighed in across 5 answers
Dr. James Sunwoo answered

Specializes in Plastic Surgery

Underbite: The only definitive way to correct for a skeletal discrepancy (i.e. underbite) is by having jaw surgery. Braces will correct for misalignment in your teeth, but with larger discrepancies of your jaw, orthognathic surgery will be necessary. Exercises will do very little to alter the position of your jaw. Please consult with an oral and maxillofacial surgeon for a thorough evaluation.

Answered 3/15/2015

3.7k views

Concern: I'm concerned that you have undergone Rx that is not effective for adults. "Mouthguard's," exercises, etc, do NOT work for non-growing adults. Please consult with a fully qualified Orthodontic Specialist and the Oral Surgeon on his team. You need sophisticated care by the best specialists you can find.

Answered 9/13/2014

3.7k views

See your ortho: exercises will not help. You may need an expander to expand your top teeth. Then a retainer to keep the movement achieved in place.

Answered 10/3/2014

3.7k views

I don't know: There are different ways to treat an underbite, but I know of no excesrsize to prevent it.

Answered 4/25/2015

3.2k views

Dr. Paul Grin answered

Specializes in Pain Management

Lip Seal Squeeze: When you do this exercise correctly and consistently, your upper front teeth will meet your lower front teeth. Ask your orthodontist for more information.

Answered 2/17/2015

3.2k views