Why is it impossible for me to make a fist after hand surgery?

Dr. Jeffrey Wint
Hand Surgery 35 years experience
Complex : Relationships exist between the joints tendons small muscles and soft tissues in your hand. However swelling is the most common reason even unnoticed it just takes a small bit of soft tissue swelling to give limitation in motion. If you are cleared for motion on your own keep working as it is an everyday thing and swelling in general can last months depending upon you, your surgery et al
Dr. Christopher Khorsandi
Plastic Surgery 22 years experience
Swelling: You are probably experiencing postoperative swelling. I recommend that you discuss this with your surgeon. It is usually temporary.

Last updated Dec 28, 2012