my son woulddn't remove his wisdom teeth and now has a cyst and has to gone through surgery. common?

2 doctor answers
Dr. Howard Kirschner
8 years experience Dentistry
Sorry for him: That is what happens hen youj do not listen to the advice of your dentist. This is not common, as most people do take their dentist;s advice and they avoid a crisis like this. The point of seeing your dentist is not to argue with the dentist but to do what is advised for your own welfare. Sorry this happened to you. It could have been even worse.
Answered on Nov 6, 2012
Dr. Ronald Achong
17 years experience Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
Uncommon: Formation of cyst around wisdom teeth are not common. However when a cyst form, invasive surgery will be required. Usually cyst formation around a wisdom tooth can be detected early on a panorex x-ray. I wish your son well and a quick recovery.
Answered on Nov 7, 2012