U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Edison, NJ
A male asked:

Should i have my crown lengthening done by an oral surgeon or periodontist? i understand that it can be done by both.

3 doctor answers9 doctors weighed in
Dr. Theodore Davantzis
Dentistry 41 years experience
Periodontist: It can even be performed by a general dentist who feels comfortable with the procedure, but I would go with a periodontist.
Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management 37 years experience
Periodontist: Dental crown lengthening involves the removal of gum tissue to expose more of a tooth's structure. A periodontist is a dentist who specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of the gums. In addition to four years of dental school, periodontists also complete at least 3 more years of specialized study in this field. Call your periodontist today
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Orthodontics 54 years experience
Ask: Ask your Restorative Dentist who he/she prefers to do the procedure. Work with the Specialist that your Generalist prefers you to see because of their track record.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated Dec 3, 2019


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.