U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Plano, TX
A 57-year-old male asked:

Who is the most experience by volume of cases completed to do dental implants.. periodontics, prosthodontics, or oral & maxillofacial surgeon.

4 doctor answers6 doctors weighed in
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Orthodontics 54 years experience
How many: "How many" is much less important than "how well." Ask your Dentist for referral to practitioner he/she feels will provide you with the highest quality of care.
Dr. John Thaler
Prosthodontics 42 years experience
Depends: All depends on your location and the specialists there. Most important is the level of expertise for your needs. Volume probably goes to the Oral Surgeons, then Perio, then Prostho. Best bet is to see the Prosthodontist first as they will be the captain of the restorative ship. If the implant is not properly positioned, it may compromise the result. Often a team is in place. Good Luck.
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Orthodontics 54 years experience
Well said.
Dec 13, 2015
Dr. Justin Nelson
Pediatric Dentistry 17 years experience
Combo: Combo.... Oral surgeons were the beginners but with more & more generalists getting in the game & a mix of specialists & generalist doing a greater & greater volume of cases. If the case is very complex I would use a prosthodontist
Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management 37 years experience
OMS and Periodontist: The oral surgeons and periodontists are specialists with extensive experience and training in placement of the dental implants.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated Feb 13, 2016


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.