U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 48-year-old member asked:

Are periodontists supposed to do the crown lengthening and a general the restorative?

2 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
Dr. Stephen Gordon
undefined 43 years experience
Not always.: There are some very well trained general dentists or prosthodontists who can do both the crown lengthening procedure as well as the restorative dentistry. Some do the surgery conventionally and others using laser treatment. But if your dentist does only the restorative treatment, they will refer you to a periodontist whom they work with to provide the periodontal surgical procedures.
Dr. Kenneth Grossman
A Verified Doctoranswered
Endodontics 44 years experience
Yes: They are the best to do this. They are specialists at this procedure. General dentist are the restorative experts and prosthodontists are specialists in complex restorations.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated Dec 10, 2013


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.