Does invisalign cause teeth to wiggle?

19 doctors weighed in across 8 answers
Dr. I. Jay Freedman answered

Specializes in Dentistry

Slight til complete: Invisalign is a type of orthodontic therapy which involves the movement of one's teeth into a more ideal situation for function and esthetics. As you teeth are moving, there are changes happening to your bone and teeth attachment that are normal for tooth movement that may make your teeth a little looser. Of course, this assumes your teeth & gums are healthy! Once complete, they will tighten up.

Answered 12/14/2017

3.9k views

Dr. Abraham Jaskiel answered

Specializes in Dentistry

Invisalign braces: If someone has bone loss due to periodontal disease they may get loose teeth, braces or invisalign may cause teeth to loosen as well, but after treatment it usually solidifies. Make sure to clean your teeth thoroughly as to not get gum disease, and ask your dentist to examine your teeth w xrays

Answered 6/28/2019

3.8k views

Dr. Arnold Malerman answered

Specializes in Orthodontics

Yes: To straighten teeth bone has to be remodeled. Ask an Orthodontic Specialist to explain the physiology for you.

Answered 12/14/2017

3.8k views

Dr. Louis Gallia answered

Specializes in Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

Yes: Yes, all the comments by the other docs are true.

Answered 12/14/2017

3.1k views

Dr. Ronald Hsu answered

Specializes in Pediatric Dentistry

Yes: When teeth are being moved by braces or Invisalign, they are slightly loosened. People in braces don't feel the loosening because the teeth are tied to each other, but for Invisalign users, when the trays are removed to eat or clean, they are not tied together so individually the teeth feel loose. It is normal as part of orthodontic tooth movement.

Answered 12/14/2017

1.9k views

Dr. Paul Grin answered

Specializes in Pain Management

Absolutely!: With invisalign, you change trays every two weeks, so teeth are moving and adjusting which makes them slightly wiggly. It is normal.

Answered 12/14/2017

1.9k views

Dr. Robert Douglas answered

Specializes in Orthodontics

When: your teeth are moving they are loose. If not loose, then not moving. This is normal. They will tighten when they stop moving. Teeth especially the smaller front teeth will always move a little so don't worry about it. Normal.

Answered 12/14/2017

838 views

Dr. Hilary Baskin answered

Specializes in Orthodontics

Yes: any time you are moving teeth, there will be orthodontic movement which may feel like a wiggle. it should be light, however. Major wiggles are in indication that you have short roots. If this is the case, orthodontic treatment may not be advised. I would check with your orthodontist if u r concerned, take a pano x-ray if u have not for a while and work with your doc to assess your root health.

Answered 4/12/2020

709 views