What are the best ways to reduce swelling after rhinoplasty or septoplasty?

Dr. Suzanne Galli
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 24 years experience
Rhinoplasty postop: After rhinoplasty it is imperative to keep your head elevated and to use cool compresses. These two things will help reduce and avoid excessive edema after nasal surgery.
Dr. David Sherris
Facial Plastic Surgery 33 years experience
Follow directions: Follow your doctors directions! I usually suggest ice water soaked eye pads on the eyes and keeping your head elevated for a week. I also suggest avoiding exercise or lifting for two weeks. I give my patients arnica montana and low dose steroids after surgery as well.
Dr. Otto Placik
Plastic Surgery 34 years experience
Head not neck elevat: To minimize immediate postoperative swelling for the first several nights it is essential to sleep with your head elevated above the level of your heart. It is important not to tuck your chin or flex your neck which can actually make the swelling in your face worse by kinking the neck veins causing an outflow obstruction. So avoid a pillow under your head and use more of a wedge for your back/head

Last updated Jul 29, 2018