Nampa, ID

I got a total protein test and it was 8.9 normal range is 6.3-8.2. i have raynolds disease and my dr ordered an spep test what does it mean?

Dr. Le Wang
Dr. Le Wanganswered
SPEP: SPEP stands for serum protein electrophoresis. It is commonly used to separate out and identify abnormal protein in the blood called M-protein. Increased level of M-protein can be caused by infection, inflammation or cancer such as multiple myeloma. Myeloma is a cancer of the plasma cells in bone marrow, which can produce excessive monoclonal M-protein detected by SPEP.
Last updated Sep 3, 2015