FL

I have sjogrens and just had a normal protein electrophoresis but rheumatologist is concerned about my pe albumin 53.8 - has mentioned seeing a hematologist. i try to learn as much as i can about these tests. thoughts on the 53.8 albumin?

Dr. Donald Colantino
Your serum electrophoresis seems to rule out a hematologic disorder. Do you mean PreAlbumin? I order serum albumin levels in patients&have no clinical experience with PreAlbumin, but according to my readings, a level below 180 is consistent with early malnutrition. I don't know if this pertains to you, but your physician can advise you best and possibly consider referring you to a dietician
Pathology 50 years experience
If you mean an albumin concentration of 53.8g/L it is more than likely due to dehydration. Drink enough water daily so that your urine is mostly colorless. Next time you need to get a blood test for albumin, make sure you drink plenty of water two hours before the time of blood collection. You value is not dangerous.
Last updated Aug 13, 2021