Lincoln, RI

My 3 year old does not want to listen. when i try to talk to him he covers his ears. i have to repeat my self about 10 times to get him to understand.

Dr. Robert Killian
General Practice 29 years experience
Change your Speech: This common problem will not be solved in frustration, yelling, or in any way that would appear like a battle to your toddler. Perhaps changing or softening the way you speak. Acting as if his 'tantrum' is not bothering you; speaking softly with a pleasant face and voice so that if he wants to know what you say he has to uncover his ears. There are no winners when war stances arise in parenting.
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Pediatrics - Developmental and Behavioral 51 years experience
Increase pleasant : interactions; talk with him, not at him. While you're both calm, briefly state the behaviors you want, the rewards for compliance & consequences for non-compliance, at his language level. Follow through immediately. Walk him to time-out from behind; don't talk, make eye contact or look angry. Repeat till he stays put, set timer for 3 min. Walk him out of time from behind. Don't lecture or scold.

Last updated Jun 11, 2014