TX

Are you suppose to brush before going to the dentist?

Dr. Ron E. Bell
Cosmetic Dentistry 46 years experience
I appreciate it: It demonstrates care for yourself and the staff you visit!
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Howard Schneider
Pediatric Dentistry 35 years experience
Yes, if you like : Your dentist. Your dentist's job is to clean off the hard debris and stains that you can not get off with routine home care. You will make their job easier if you brush off the loose food debris before you get there. If you are having a filling done it is even more important for you to brush before the appointment and any food debris may interfere with the restorative procedure.
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Orthodontics 54 years experience
Yes: No one wants to work in an unclean environment. You should be brushing 2x/day for at least 2 full minutes by the clock. You should be flossing daily. Anything less exposes you to increased risk of dental diseases, so your oral health is really up to you.
Dr. Robert Landman
Dentistry 33 years experience
Brush: When i was a kid, my mother would tell me to brush before you go, and i was like " why, im getting my teeth cleaned there anyway". i can assure you we all do appreciate it, noone wants to work in a dirtier environment,, just as you wouldn't go to see your MD for your physical without making sure you were clean all over...
Dr. Matthew Church
Cosmetic Dentistry 24 years experience
It can be helpful: It is not required to brush your teeth before going to the dentist, especially if you already brush and floss after every meal. However, some patients feel better about having a freshly cleaned smile when they sit in the dental chair. It can help, but it is not required. In many cases, patients will have a cleaning performed when they visit the dentist.
Dr. Daniel Wolter
Dentistry 31 years experience
Yes...And Every Day: It's polite to show up at your dentist's practice with freshly brushed teeth. That's just a nice thing to do. However, you won't be judged or treated differently if you don't. Much more important, however, is that you brush your teeth EVERY day, at least twice for two minutes. And, you must use proper technique to get the maximum benefits. Brush often, and you won't have to worry about your visit.
Last updated Jun 12, 2017