Are you suppose to brush before going to the dentist?

17 doctors weighed in across 6 answers
Dr. Ron E. Bell answered

Specializes in Cosmetic Dentistry

It demonstrates care for yourself and the staff you visit!

Answered Nov 29, 2013

4.7k views

Still have questions?

Get the best care from a doctor who knows you.

Book a Video Appointment
appScreen
Sponsor Content
Dr. Howard Schneider answered

Specializes in Pediatric Dentistry

Your dentist. Your dentist's job is to clean off the hard debris and stains that you can not get off with routine home care. You will make their job easier if you brush off the loose food debris before you get there. If you are having a filling done it is even more important for you to brush before the appointment and any food debris may interfere with the restorative procedure.

Answered Nov 29, 2013

4.7k views

Dr. Arnold Malerman answered

Specializes in Orthodontics

No one wants to work in an unclean environment. You should be brushing 2x/day for at least 2 full minutes by the clock. You should be flossing daily. Anything less exposes you to increased risk of dental diseases, so your oral health is really up to you.

Answered Jun 27, 2014

3.9k views

Dr. Robert Landman answered

Specializes in Dentistry

When i was a kid, my mother would tell me to brush before you go, and i was like " why, im getting my teeth cleaned there anyway". i can assure you we all do appreciate it, noone wants to work in a dirtier environment,, just as you wouldn't go to see your MD for your physical without making sure you were clean all over...

Answered Oct 30, 2016

3.1k views

Dr. Matthew Church answered

Specializes in Cosmetic Dentistry

It is not required to brush your teeth before going to the dentist, especially if you already brush and floss after every meal. However, some patients feel better about having a freshly cleaned smile when they sit in the dental chair. It can help, but it is not required. In many cases, patients will have a cleaning performed when they visit the dentist.

Answered Jul 29, 2015

2.5k views

Dr. Daniel Wolter answered

Specializes in Dentistry

It's polite to show up at your dentist's practice with freshly brushed teeth. That's just a nice thing to do. However, you won't be judged or treated differently if you don't. Much more important, however, is that you brush your teeth EVERY day, at least twice for two minutes. And, you must use proper technique to get the maximum benefits. Brush often, and you won't have to worry about your visit.

Answered Jun 12, 2017

661 views