I have a cold sore on my lip, i forgot to wash my hands then i scratched my vagina. Does that mean i will get herpes? What is the chance?

Dr. Martin Raff
55 years experience in Infectious Disease
Herpes simplex: It is unlikely that you will transfer the virus to your vaginal area. Most commonly the cold sore you have, if due to herpes simplex, is a recurrence at the site of your original infection with this virus, and that most often happens in the same place it was inoculated. Although it is conceivable that you will recur in another site it is very very unlikely.
Answered on Aug 23, 2016