U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Carrollton, GA
A 23-year-old male asked:

Puffy gums around upper wisdom tooth for last 3 days. now it's starting to hurt. can i wait 2 days for a dentist to open or do i need the er?

2 doctor answers7 doctors weighed in
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dentistry 55 years experience
The ER: Will generally take a long time for someone to see you. It generally will not be a dentist and the most that will be done will be to give you some pain medication and an antibiotic. It's generally not worth the trip. I would take some otc pain medication and rinse with warm salt water. If you get a fever, excruciating pain or increased and spreading swelling, you could go to the er.
Dr. Wei-shin Lai
Family Medicine 20 years experience
Most family doctors can help you with this.
Nov 10, 2013
Dr. Sandra Eleczko
Dentistry 37 years experience
Better to call your dentist than go th ER
Nov 10, 2013
Dr. Daniel Rubenstein
Dentistry 52 years experience
Painful wisdom tooth: This sounds like an abcess. See your dentist. Take some Ibuprofen and rinse with warm salt water. If this doesn't help, call your dentist to see him/her sooner.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated Jun 25, 2014


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.