U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Canonsburg, PA
A 28-year-old male asked:

Considering braces. unhappy with "~" shaped smile. back teeth feel like they touch on one side. recent dental xray in profile. recommendations?

2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
Dr. John DeWolf
41 years experience
start with gp: Solving a smile problem is often multi faceted. A general dentist will help you understand if orthodontics will be part of a solution appropriate for you. Sometimes a combination of orthodontics, surgery, and restorative dentistry is needed to fully solve complex issues. It's best to have a good quarterback who can refer you to appropriate specialty care as needed.
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Orthodontics 54 years experience
Team approach: If your "bite" is off, you need an orthodontist. If teeth have worn unevenly or are discolored, you need a restorative dentist. If gums unhealthy, you need a periodontist. If jaws malposed, you need an oral surgeon. Start w general (restorative) dentist who will help you develop your individualized rx plan based on your needs, and will refer you to appropriate specialists if indicated.
Last updated Mar 21, 2014


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.