U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Abington, PA
A 34-year-old female asked:

What should i do? my gums on the top right side of my mouth in one spot is swollen and bright red and painful. what can i do for the pain

4 doctor answers7 doctors weighed in
Dr. James Vito
Prosthodontics 38 years experience
See a dentist: Sounds like you have a dental abscess brewing. You should see a dentist asap.
Dr. David Milder
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 36 years experience
See dentist: There are many potential causes of this so i recommend seeing a dentist. If it is a gum or tooth abscess, you need treatment. There are may other potential problem, so you need a diagnosis to treat this unless it is something simple like 'you stabbed yourself with a fork' or 'burned yourself on hot pizza'.
Dr. Sam Markzar
Dentistry - Periodontics 28 years experience
Gum swellings: Need x-rays taken first, then check the areas.. Could be tooth or gum infection.. Xrays can tell a lot !
Dr. Sandra Eleczko
Dentistry 37 years experience
See a dentist: You need to see a dentist asap to, diagnose and treat this. It sounds like you have an infection so you need treatment. You can take ibuprophen 600 mg to ease the pain, rinse with warm salt water and using an ice pack will, help keep you comfortable until you can see a dentist in the morning.
Last updated Apr 12, 2020


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.