Rio Rico, AZ

Will the metal bands placed on my molars hurt as much as the ortho rubber spacers i have in now? will it feel like something is stuck in my teeth?

Dr. Dinh Bui
Dr. Dinh Buianswered
Dentistry 23 years experience
No: The rubber spacer served to separate the contact between the adjacent teeth and the molar so that the molar band can be seated easily. The molar band will not give you any discomfort comparative to the rubber spacer. Tylenol (acetaminophen) and warm salt water holding in your mouth will sooth this sensation. If discomfort is getting too much, go back to your orthodontist because the space might be ready.
Dr. Sandra Eleczko
Dentistry 36 years experience
No: The bands will not hurt. The spacers moved y our teeth. The bands are passive and do not put force on the teeth. You may have some discomfort when the archwires are placed, there will be forces on your teeth to move them.
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dentistry 54 years experience
It's different: The spacers create room for placement of the bands. They do this by creating pressure and force on your teeth. That is their purpose. Once there is space to place the bands on, the band go on passively.You can expect forces & pressures & some soreness throughout your orthodontic treatment. That's how the teeth are moved. Many of us including myself have gone through it. It's intermittent & not bad.