how much and how often do i apply vitamin e oil to my scars?

3 doctor answers
43 years experience Pathology
As often as you wish: Do not expect much in the way of results. If it causes inflammation, stop using it. Even dermatologists treating acne scars can only make them less conspicuous.
Answered on May 23, 2013
Dr. Otto Placik
33 years experience Plastic Surgery
Myth but use if help: Many of my patients swear by the benefits of vitamin e and so i generally don't dissuade them but there is very little science to support its use. It is probably the massage, (which we know helps scars) that is used to apply the vitamin e, which is actually providing the improvements observed. Massage with any clean oil 3-4 times a day. Silicon gel trips are morel likely to improve the scar.
Answered on Dec 10, 2013
Dr. Thomas Fiala
32 years experience Plastic Surgery
Don't bother with E.: Vitamin e doesn't have any benefit on scars - and many people actually get an allergic reaction & rash from it. There are much better products available - try a silicone based scar product, like kelocoat, biodermis, or similar. These actually have proof that they work!
Answered on Jun 11, 2013