U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 43-year-old male asked:

I have very swollen gums, i will visit a dentist in a few months. in the meantime what can i do to help ease the swelling?

3 doctor answers5 doctors weighed in
Dr. Ronald Achong
Oral &Maxillofacial Surgery 19 years experience
Depends: I see that you are on blood pressure medications. Certain types of blood medications can cause swollen gums. Your dentist and medical doctor will need to review your medications to see which medication can potentially cause this. The more common cause of generalized swollen gums is periodontal disease. Brush, floss and use mouth wash until you see your dentist.
Dr. Dinh Bui
Dr. Dinh Buianswered
Dentistry 24 years experience
Brush and floss: Good oral hygiene is the first step into the right direction. Brushing into the swelling area will improve the drainage and reduce swelling. Flossing will further clean the gum between your teeth. You may have only gingivitis and not periodontitis, and gingivitis is reversible with proper oh. Brush with salt would definitely help your swollen gum. For sensitive teeth, use sensodyne toothpaste.
Dr. Theodore Davantzis
Dentistry 41 years experience
Great hygiene: You should floss and brush carefully to keep your teeth as clean as possible to help minimize the inflammation. Please be aware that if you have hardened calculus deposits, you may not see much of a difference since the calculus is full of bacteria and you cannot brush it off.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated Oct 17, 2013


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.