Philippines

My gums/left cheek is swollen! i have decay wisdom tooth and the dentist doesn't want to remove it because it still swelling. how many days does it last?

Dr. Gary Sandler
Dentistry 55 years experience
Infected tooth: In my opinion, you should be on an appropriate antibiotic and have the tooth removed as soon as possible by a skilled dentist, usually an oral surgeon, even if swelling is present. You may also need incision and drainage. I'm not sure about the expertise and quality of dental care in your area. You will have to research that on your own. Good luck!
Dr. Daniel Quon
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 43 years experience
It can vary: It is sometimes harder to achieve profound anesthesia when a tooth is acutely infected, so many dentists will prescribe an antibiotic to treat the acute infection and hopefully remove the tooth at a later date when the infection has decreased. The other option is to be sedated by a dentist or oral surgeon for the immediate removal of the tooth.
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Orthodontics 54 years experience
Depends: If you're on antibiotics to control the swelling, can be a few days to a week. If not on antibiotics, find a different dentist. The infection cannot be resolved until the tooth is out.

Last updated Jan 21, 2019