I have the equate urinary pain relief maximum strength. each tablet contains 99.5mg of phenazopyridine hydrochloride. i took 1 tablet. is it safe to breastfeed my 3 month old? if i should avoid breastfeeding, for how long? should i pump&dump?

2 doctors weighed in across 2 answers
Dr. Hiep Le answered

Specializes in Nephrology and Dialysis

By PDR. net: "it isn't known whether phenazopyridine is excreted in human milk ... it is prudent to avoid phenazopyridine use while breast-feeding, especially with an infant LESS THAN 1 MONTH of AGE or has a glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase (G6PD) deficiency." If there is no history of G6PD in your family's medical history, you should not worry much with only one tablet of 99.5 mg phenazopyridine

Answered Dec 21, 2022

0 views

Dr. Birendra Tandan answered

Specializes in Urology

That medicine will be out of your system about 24 hrs later. stop it if your pain is gone So hold breast feeding for that time. Pump and dump only if breasts full or uncomfortable

Answered Dec 22, 2022

0 views