Lake Oswego, OR

I have been asking my doctor for 2 years to do a pap and she said at my age 61 and after having a hysterectomy that i did not need to have one. so with my yearly check up , i i insist this time. so this is were we are at now. so whats the right answer. pap smear?

Dr. Hunter Handsfield
Infectious Disease 54 years experience
No pap needed: If your entire uterus was removed — I.e. your cervix is gone — there is no point in a Pap smear. Paps in women are primarily to check the health of the cervix. If you’re having vaginal or other genital area symptoms, you probably should have a pelvic exam, but no Pap smear.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Wayne Ingram
Specializes in Obstetrics and Gynecology
Pap not needed: A pap smear is not needed for a patient your age who has had a hysterectomy with cervical removal. The American College of OB GYN guideline can be viewed on acog.org.
Last updated Dec 13, 2020