U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 25-year-old female asked:

I have a pimple/abscess on my lower gum. my gums and left hand side of my face is swollen. my teeth and gums are painful. i suspect a gum problem not a rotten tooth. gums bleed when i floss. should i consult a gp first or a dentist? thank you

3 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Orthodontics 54 years experience
Dentist: While General Physicians are the stars of the health care industry, you have a dental problem. See a Dentist. You may have a damaged tooth or gum disease. Either way, a General Dentist or the appropriate dental specialist is your first line of care for your problem.
Dr. Heidi Fowler
Psychiatry 26 years experience
Infection: Although you can do either, I would recommend seeing a dentist ASAP if your face has become swollen. You could have an abscess or cellulitis.
Dr. Jason Alliger
Dentistry - Endodontics 24 years experience
Dentist: A fistula/pimple is a sign of active infection. You need to see your dentist or endodontist to determine the source of the infection and decide on best course of treatment. A gp will give you antibiotic and tell you to see the dentist.
Last updated Aug 8, 2020


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.