I have a pimple/abscess on my lower gum. my gums and left hand side of my face is swollen. my teeth and gums are painful. i suspect a gum problem not a rotten tooth. gums bleed when i floss. should i consult a gp first or a dentist? thank you

Dr. Arnold Malerman
Orthodontics 54 years experience
Dentist: While General Physicians are the stars of the health care industry, you have a dental problem. See a Dentist. You may have a damaged tooth or gum disease. Either way, a General Dentist or the appropriate dental specialist is your first line of care for your problem.
Infection: Although you can do either, I would recommend seeing a dentist ASAP if your face has become swollen. You could have an abscess or cellulitis.
Dr. Jason Alliger
Dentistry - Endodontics 24 years experience
Dentist: A fistula/pimple is a sign of active infection. You need to see your dentist or endodontist to determine the source of the infection and decide on best course of treatment. A gp will give you antibiotic and tell you to see the dentist.
Last updated Aug 8, 2020