How can i have gum disease? at my appointment yesterday, my dentist told me that i have gum disease and need to take better care of my teeth. i brush and floss every day, and my gums don't bleed when i floss. could i somehow still have gum disease?

Dr. Theodore Davantzis
Dentistry 42 years experience
You : You assume that because you brush and floss and that your gums don't bleed that your teeth and gums are healthy. That is not necessarily true. Why must there be an outward sign that there is trouble? Many illnesses, including high blood pressure, diabetes, blocked arteries, and even cancer will have no outward symptoms until the patient is rushed to the hospital. Your question did not say how often you go for check-ups or cleanings. Periodontal disease takes many years to manifest itself. The acids from the bacteria in the calculus around your teeth irritate the gums and bone and cause them to shrink away. Periodontal disease, if left untreated can cause premature loss of your teeth. Have your dentist explain his findings and his recommended course of treatment.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Felicia Mata
Cosmetic Dentistry 27 years experience
People : People who has bruxism habits has firmer gingival tissues, can masked gingival disease, and gums usually don't bleed compared to people who has no parafunctional habits and has gum and periodontaldisease. Gingival hypertrophy can usually be seen from mouth breathers. It is important to have regular visit to the dentist especially if these conditions exists.
Dr. Duane Keller
47 years experience
Treat the cause: Gum disease is a bacterial infection. Kill the bacteria with an easy, simple, safe, comfortable and reliable method like the perio protect method. Delivering hydrogen peroxide to the bacteria kills them and keeps them from coming back. Used just minutes a day you can resolve the cause of your problem and keep it from coming back.
Dr. John Francis
Periodontics 32 years experience
Half of us do: Just about 50% of the population has a form of gum disease. It's great that your dentist has done the proper exam to find out you have it, but if you really do, you need some type of active care. You can't treat it yourself just by taking better care.
Last updated Feb 22, 2019