FL

dental implants are now ready for their crowns. will restorative dentist have to do gum surgery by slicing into my gums with a scapel to place?

Dr. Gary Sandler
Dentistry 54 years experience
Second stage Implant: That depends upon how close to the surface the implant healing cap is. Sometimes it is already exposed and readily accessible, sometimes it is just at or below the surface and some minor exposure is needed and sometimes it is well below the surface and requires a minor surgical exposure. Nothing compared to the original surgery. Ask the dentist treating you.
Dr. Andres Carbunaru
Prosthodontics 24 years experience
Not really: If the surgeon told you that you are ready for impression, the dentist will not need to do any procedure on your gums, Normally we not even need to placed anesthesia for the impression
Dr. Daniel Wolter
Dentistry 30 years experience
Kind Of: If the implants are healing below the gums, then the small area of gum tissue which is covering them needs to be accessed. I wouldn't exactly call this small procedure "slicing into my gums with a scalpel." Your dentist may use a laser, or a tissue punch, or some other type of instrument. In either case, it's a comfortable procedure. You'll be numb. Much easier for you than getting the implants.