My 22-month-old baby has ecc and has undergone flouride varnish already.can i put regular toothpaste(colgate) to a clean cloth and use it to clean his teeth?

3 doctors weighed in across 3 answers

Baby tpaste for now: We encourage parents to use non fluorinated baby toothpaste until the kid is old enough to be taught to spit out any residual. Fluoride varnishes are applied under direct vision & excesses removed. Swallowing fluoride in tooth paste can cause spotting in teeth & be toxic to the kid.

Answered 9/17/2017

544 views

Dr. Amrita Dosanjh answered

Specializes in Pediatric Allergy and Asthma

Mgt: It should be alright. Use a small amount of the paste. Please see your PCP.

Answered 9/17/2017

544 views

Yes, but: 1st, use only pea sized portion of t'paste. 2nd, a youth-sized soft bristled t-brush will flex into all the cracks and crevices a washcloth can't reach. 3rd, you should be flossing your child's teeth daily, and brushing 2 full minutes 2x/day (yes, you should be doing this as child does not have the manual dexterity yet). Would be best for your child to be under the care of a Pediatric Dentist.

Answered 9/18/2017

543 views