New York, NY

dentist took x-ray of tooth plus 3d same side. said low dose machine. had vest pulled up as high as possible. radiation risk?

Dr. Michael Gabor
Diagnostic Radiology 33 years experience
The radiation: Dose you likely received would cause a theoretical increased risk that is roughly equivalent to the radiation risk of about a 30 minute airline flight, so essentially the risk is nonexistent in a practical sense.
Dr. Theodore Davantzis
Dentistry 40 years experience
Zero to None: The radiation is of diagnostic dosage, not something for you to worry about. If you were to take one hundred such images, it could be problematic. But since you are not being irradiated in such a manner, don't give it a second thought, no more than you would taking a flight from NY to Miami, which exposes you to full body radiation.
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Orthodontics 53 years experience
X-ray's: Risk vrs benefit. Risk extremely low. Collimated beam, lead shielding, high resolution sensors. Benefit potentially high. Information provided will improve the efficacy of your treatment.