U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A member asked:

My tooth is at risk of puncturing my sinus cavity. side of face hurts, what's the worst that could happen? i went to local dentist at the va clinic, and they said they could not pull my tooth because of my sinus cavity. so they referred me to a surgeon in

4 doctor answers5 doctors weighed in
Dr. Theodore Davantzis
Dentistry 42 years experience
Thank : Thank you for asking a great question and for explaining things fully. The dentists at the va don't feel confident enough of their skills to extract this tooth, and they referred you to an oral surgeon for the procedure. So far this is standard protocol. Waiting a month for this is way too long, any your pain will only worsen. You need to a) have them refer you to a surgeon who can see you in the next day or two as an emergency or b) they need to relieve your pain and prevent a massive infection. If the tooth is broken into the nerve, or cavity is that deep, they could always start root canal therapy on the tooth. This would remove the nerve and let the pain die down until the surgeon can see you. It is most likely the only way you will see some relief if the pain is that bad. What is the worse that can happen? I don't really want to frighten you, but an infection that bursts into the maxilla right under your eye and inches from vital organs can put you at extreme risk. Please go back and have them do something to prevent a massive infection and to make you comfortable.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Leonard Tau
Specializes in Dentistry
Sorry : Sorry to hear about your situation. It is common practice for a dentist to refer you to an oral surgeon for extraction if they feel that complications are possible that they may not be able to handle. On that note the fact that the surgeon cannot see you for a month is concerning. I would call your dentist and ask for another referral or call some oral surgeons in your area to take the tooth out sooner. I would also call you dentist and ask for an antibiotic to prevent infection. Good luck.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. G Funari
Dr. G Funarianswered
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 47 years experience
I : I agree totally with the recommendations of the other dentists. If your situation is as dire as your state, i would recommend that your contact your va dentist and explain your inability to access emergent care and request that either he contact the oms to expedite your care or recommend referral to another surgeon. From my experience from 21 years in the navy and having worked in the va system, most major va hospitals have access to an oms. It may be possible to refer you to the nearest facility with that care available. I also agree that you should be placed on antibiotics to prevent an infection until you can obtain care.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Neil McLeod
Prosthodontics 51 years experience
First : First of all i want to thank you for your service to our country in what ever capacity you have served. That said, not all the ailments that will afflict you are caused by your having served, nor are you entitled to receive treatment for them because you served, but if treatment is dispensed you should count yourself lucky. There is a limited staff at the va who work very hard there work load will include many vets who are far more needy than you are now, and they will schedule you accordingly. Your condition is serious and you need dental care immediately. I would recommend seeing a dental surgeon immediately, and finding some way of making the funds for it available. Sincerely dr neil mcleod dds dentistry that lasts - quality that counts.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Jul 11, 2021


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.