MI

I had surgery to repair a hiatal hernia 3 weeks ago and ever since i have had horrible gas and gas pain in my stomach and a lot of bloating!!

Dr. Charles Cattano
Gastroenterology 41 years experience
Can't burp: An effective nissen fundoplication provides a barrier to gastroesophageal reflux, but also a barrier to vomiting and burping since the lower esophageal sphincter no longer relaxes to let air (or other stomach contents) escape upward from your stomach. The air then accumulates in the stomach, resulting in gas and bloating until it can be evacuated into the small bowel.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Jul 14, 2018