Can someone with dental implants get periodontal disease at that same site where there once was the disease?

8 doctors weighed in across 5 answers
Dr. Arnold Malerman answered

Specializes in Orthodontics

Yes: Yes. That's why immaculate oral hygiene is so important.

Answered 9/25/2015

2.2k views

Dr. Thomas Yash answered

Specializes in Dentistry

Yes: You can develop a periodontal disease around implants similar to teeth. The same plaque, bacteria, oral conditions, etc. exist so unless there is change, you are susceptible. With your time and expense, oral hygiene is imperative. However, implants are easier to care for than your teeth. They are symmetric, and highly polished. Not odd shaped or rough surfaced like teeth. Good luck.

Answered 9/25/2015

2.2k views

Dr. Stanley Halpern answered

Specializes in Periodontics

Yes you can: You can get bone loss around implants just like you can around natural teeth. It is called peri implantitis

Answered 6/11/2018

2.2k views

Dr. Daniel Rubenstein answered

Specializes in Dentistry

Yes: The same issues that cause periodontal disease around teeth can cause periodontal disease around implants: poor oral hygiene, smoking, diabetes. Implants need to be checked and cleaned the same as teeth. If there is disease they need to be treated, the same as teeth.

Answered 9/29/2015

2.2k views

Dr. Nilesh Dalal answered

Specializes in Periodontics

Yes: Dental implants can also get gum disease known as Peri -implantitis which also affects the very bone which is supporting the dental implant and one needs to repair the condition or risk loosing the implant just like a tooth. This the the very reason its imperative that the mouth is clear of aperiodontal or Gum disease before any implants are done to prevent a similar situation from arising again

Answered 6/11/2018

2.2k views