my 16 yrs old daughter has been bothered by chronic yeast infection after taking a very strong antibiotic 3 yrs ago.i've tried cranberry juice, probiotic and otc product. her new pediatrician prescribed a 1 dose oral antifungal which did not work, now rec

3 doctor answers
Dr. Kristin Stropnicky
Needs testing: A chronic yeast infection (and one that is resistant to appropriate treatment) is concerning and warrants further testing (to make sure it is in fact yeast and not another condition such as bacterial vaginosis or an STD if sexually active). A swab of the vaginal area is the best way to diagnose. Chronic yeast infections can indicate other systemic health problems which should be investigated
Answered on Oct 5, 2015
1
Dr. Hunter Handsfield
53 years experience Infectious Disease
Resistant yeast: Uncomfortable problem, sorry to hear of it. First thing is to test for yeast by culture, both to confirm the diagnosis and determine the type of yeast; some types are resistant to usual treatment with "azole" drugs, including single dose oral fluconazole. May need alternative treatments. Consider consultation with a gyn who subspecializes in infections, or an infectious diseases specialist.
Answered on Sep 1, 2015
Dr. Charles Gordon
Specializes in Adolescent Medicine
Yeast: Most human beings have yeast either on or in them. The question is whether they are infected with the yeast or is it just there. Finding it present does not mean that you are infected. We are not sterile organisms. We don't treat ourselves until we are sterile. Is your daughter clinically I'll or is she just being treated to make some laboratory results look better? Find an infectious disease mav
Answered on Sep 1, 2015
1
Dr. J. Lawrence Dohan
57 years experience Dermatology
See a dermatologist and get a better diagnosis.
Sep 1, 2015