Miami, FL

I have been taking truvada (emtricitabine and tenofovir) as a preventative medication. since then i've noticed my stool smells like metal. is this a problem ? could this even be related to those meds ?

Dr. Andrew Seibert
Gastroenterology 35 years experience
Truvada (emtricitabine and tenofovir): Truvada (emtricitabine and tenofovir) has proven useful as a preventative medication for HIV. It is generally well tolerated. I have never heard of stool smelling like metal as a side effect of this medication. It is recommended that you have periodic tests of your liver and kidneys while on Truvada (emtricitabine and tenofovir). Although it is probably nothing to worry about, you should tell your doctor and have those tests performed. Good luck.

Last updated Aug 24, 2016