U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Santa Clara, CA
A 27-year-old male asked:

How would you know if you are depressed? would you directly see a therapist or consult with a general physician first?

2 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
Dr. Marcie Berman
Clinical Psychology 40 years experience
Either could help: If you think you are depressed, you probably are not feeling well. This can range from lack of interest, sadness, irritability,loss of appetite among other signs all the way to being unable to get out of bed or suicidal thinking. Sometimes medication is needed right away, in which case start,with you doc. If you want to talk something out, a therapist could,help,and can direct you to meds.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Andrew Berry
Clinical Psychology 15 years experience
DEPRESSION: Get an evaluation from a psychiatrist to help identify what depression means to you and whatever else may be bothering you. Consider recommendations for medication if any are given. Get a referral for a reputable psychotherapist to speak with. Meds and therapy combined are most optimal; no just one or the other.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated May 14, 2016


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.